A Father’s Priviledge
Big Idea: A Dad’s privilege is to raise his sons and daughters to be purposeful and mature men and women. This is done through both, modelling and teaching.
Scriptures: “For I have chosen him, so that he may command his children and his household after him to keep the way of the Lord by doing righteousness and justice, so that the Lord may bring upon Abraham what He has spoken about him”. Genesis 18:19c NASB
Correct your son, and he will give you comfort; He will also delight your soul. Where there is no vision, the people are unrestrained, But happy is he who keeps the law. Proverbs 29:17-18
Introduction: Both Abraham and Solomon were taught by God, what it means to be a father. We may think that our primary responsibility as dads is to be the bread winner, but ultimately, we have a spiritual privilege of both modelling and instructing our children to be spiritually mature adults. As we look at their children, Abraham succeeded with Isaac and Solomon failed with Rehoboam in their respective responsibilities.
- We’ve been chosen by God as parents to our children.
- Our primary responsibility is to teach our kids what the right path is. Train up a child in the way he should go, Even when he is old he will not depart from it. Proverbs 22:6
- We also will be responsible to model and teach justice. Suppose there are brothers or sisters who need clothes and don’t have enough to eat. What good is there in your saying to them, “God bless you! Keep warm and eat well!” – if you don’t give them the necessities of life? James 2:15-16
Learn to do right. See that justice is done — help those who are oppressed, give orphans their rights, and defend widows. Isaiah 1:17
- Teaching righteousness and justice to our children is a prerequisite to our receiving the promises of God. We must correct them when we see them making an unhealthy choice.
- Fathers have a responsibility of teaching our sons and daughters to have vision. Vision is the faculty or state of being able to see, the ability to think about or plan the future with imagination or wisdom, an experience. Vision is the divine ability to see into the future and then to formulate plans to fulfill that vision. We need to be able to see the present realities, but at the same time understand greater Kingdom purpose. Therefore if you have been raised up with Christ, keep seeking the things above, where Christ is, seated at the right hand of God. 2 Set your mind on the things above, not on the things that are on earth. Colossians 3:1-2 NASB
November 11, 2018
November 4, 2018
October 28, 2018
October 21, 2018
October 14, 2018
October 7, 2018
September 30, 2018
September 23, 2018
September 16, 2018
September 9, 2018
September 2, 2018
August 28, 2018