Getting Over Offence
Big Idea: Getting over offence takes effort but freedom is worth the fight
Offence can be an obstacle to a miracle
“They took offense at Him” Matthew 13:57 NIV
“And He did not do many miracles because of their lack of faith”
Matthew 13:58 NIV
Let’s look at some ways to get over offence:
Realize that offence is a perception, not reality.
When you have offence, you view every relationship through it
In 1 Samuel 18 NIV – David is praised for doing what Saul could not do!
“The women came out from all the towns of Israel to meet King Saul with singing and dancing, with joyful songs and with tambourines and lutes. As they danced, they sang: “Saul has slain his thousands, and David his tens of thousands.” 1 Samuel 18:6-7
“Saul was very angry; this refrain galled him. “They have credited David with tens of thousands,” he thought, “but with me only thousands. What more can he get but the kingdom? From that time on Saul kept a jealous eye on David” 1 Samuel 18:8
- Don’t get offended by someone else’s gifting…there are just some people who are brave enough to slay a giant when you are not!
- Perception is vision defined by thoughts
- Thoughts are spoken words in your heart and these words erect a mindset
Realize that offence comes from a spirit, not a person.
- If you can understand this truth, you will see everyone differently…your battle is not against people, it is against the spirit of offence
Ephesians 6:12 NIV- “For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms.”
1 Samuel 16:16 NIV – David will play the harp when the evil spirit comes upon Saul and he will feel better.
- But Saul began to become Jealous – this is when the spirit of offence comes upon Saul
Pray for those that offend you.
Prayer changes your perception so that you can clearly see any offence in your relationships
- Do you know what is common in every solution? (responsibility)
I have to do three things when it comes to getting over offence:
- Take responsibility for the way I feel (I am genuinely hurt)
- Take action and contact the person (I will fight for resolve)
- Forgive the person that has hurt me (Cut the string)
- Do you know what is common in every offence? (pride)
Here are three ways to NEVER get over offence:
- Talk about your offence with everyone else except the person
- Bury it deep inside of yourself and never expose it
- Avoid the person that hurt you
You Have the Mind of Christ.
“The Spirit searches all things, even the deep things of God. For who knows a person’s thoughts except their own spirit within them?
I Corinthians 2:10b-11a NIV
“In the same way no one knows the thoughts of God except the Spirit of God. What we have received is not the spirit of the world, but the Spirit who is from God, so that we may understand what God has freely given us. This is what we speak, not in words taught us by human wisdom but in words taught by the Spirit, explaining spiritual realities with Spirit-taught words.” I Corinthians 2:11b-13 NIV
The person without the Spirit does not accept the things that come from the Spirit of God but considers them foolishness and cannot understand them because they are discerned only through the Spirit. The person with the Spirit makes judgments about all things, but such a person is not subject to merely human judgments, for, “Who has known the mind of the Lord so as to instruct him?” But we have the mind of Christ.
I Corinthians 2:14-16 NIV
All of us need to take responsibility for the way we feel. We need to change our perception by confronting those that have hurt us or those we have hurt. By tapping into the Mind of Christ, which we already possess, we can access Heavenly solutions to Hellish problems.
April 14, 2019
April 7, 2019
March 24, 2019
March 17, 2019
March 10, 2019
March 3, 2019
February 24, 2019
February 17, 2019
February 10, 2019
February 3, 2019
January 27, 2019
January 20, 2019