One More Thing
Main Point: Becoming poor in spirit doesn’t mean poverty, it means that you are willing to look inward and recognize that you lack
Be Poor in Spirit
The Beatitudes – Matthew 5:2,3
And he opened his mouth and taught them, saying:
“Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
Luke 6:20 – “blessed are the poor for yours is the Kingdom of God”
- Blessed are those that recognize their need for MORE
- This verse does not mean, being poor is better than being rich; this verse is saying if you are poor in spirit you will inherit the Kingdom of God and the Kingdom of God is not a kingdom of lack
- He’s got more for you…today, look inward to see how poor you are! When you do, He will make you prosperous
- Jesus says in this verse, blessed are those who have nothing, because they will contend for
“The LORD is near to the brokenhearted and saves the crushed in spirit”
- You may feel brokenhearted or crushed in spirit- this “poverty in your spirit” will position you to experience that The LORD is near
One More Thing
The Rich Young Man – Mark 10:18-22
And as he was setting out on his journey, a man ran up and knelt before him and asked him, “Good Teacher, what must I do to inherit eternal life?”
- Richie, the young man ran up and knelt…the posturing of his heart was good
- He was desperate to inherit eternal life…he was willing to DO SOME THINGS for God
- The problem was that he was only willing to KNEEL to inherit, he wasn’t willing to DO THE ONE THING Jesus asked him to do
The story of Richie, the Young Ruler, was not about money:
- it was about a young man who had everything but lacked what he really needed
- The story of Richie was about a young man who couldn’t RELEASE in order to RECEIVE
- The story of Richie is our story- which kingdom am I contending for?
And Jesus said to him, “Why do you call me good? No one is good except God alone. You know the commandments: ‘Do not murder, Do not commit adultery, Do not steal, Do not bear false witness, Do not defraud, Honor your father and mother.’” And he said to him, “Teacher, all these I have kept from my youth.” And Jesus, looking at him, loved him, and said to him, “You lack one thing: go, sell all that you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, follow me.” Disheartened by the saying, he went away sorrowful, for he had great possessions.
- Teacher, I have done everything you have named- I have religiously followed the law!
- Jesus looks at him and says, oh, there is just ONE MORE THING!
- You see, we all have that ONE MORE THING
- If you don’t know what the ONE MORE THING is, you are not poor in spirit
- Every time I offer God some part of myself, I withhold the
ONE MORE THING!
Be Poor but Trust in Him – Mark 10:23-27
And Jesus looked around and said to his disciples, “How difficult it will be for those who have wealth to enter the kingdom of God!” And the disciples were amazed at his words. But Jesus said to them again, “Children, how difficult it is to enter the kingdom of God! (how hard is it for them that trust in riches to enter into the kingdom of God! (KJV vs. 24)
It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich person to enter the kingdom of God.” And they were exceedingly astonished, and said to him, “Then who can be saved?” Jesus looked at them and said, “With man it is impossible, but not with God. For all things are possible with God.
- Trust in this verse is like a crutch- do I put the full wait of my life on riches or God
- Do I trust Him or lean on my own understanding? I can only do ONE OF THESE THINGS
What is your ONE MORE THING?
May 12, 2019
May 5, 2019
April 21, 2019
April 14, 2019
April 7, 2019
March 31, 2019
March 24, 2019
March 17, 2019
March 10, 2019
March 3, 2019
February 24, 2019
February 17, 2019