Our God is in the Heavens
Big Idea: Although Job never saw it himself, the Book with his name gives us unique insight into the Invisible world, from where God rules both, Heaven and Earth.
An overview of Job’s life journey
Chapter 1, Satan asked for, and was given permission, to test Job. All of Job’s possessions, employees and children were lost. A New Testament parallel is when Jesus gave permission to test Peter. “Simon, Simon, Satan has asked to sift each of you like wheat. But I have pleaded in prayer for you, Simon, that your faith should not fail. So when you have repented and turned to Me again, strengthen your brothers.” Peter said, “Lord, I am ready to go to prison with You, and even to die with You.” Luke 22:31-33 NLT
Chapter 2. Satan was given permission to go further and Job was struck with a painful disease.
Chapter 3. Job cursed the day he was born. “Let the day of my birth be erased, and the night I was conceived. Let that day be turned to darkness. Let it be lost even to God on high, and let no light shine on it. Job 3:3-4 NLT
Chapters 4-31. Job’s three friends hurled accusations of his ignorance and sinfulness at him. Job vacillated between doubt that God cares about him, and hope for a better tomorrow. He still armed his integrity.
Chapters 32-36. Elihu spoke. He justified God’s position and accurately argued that Job’s suffering was corrective rather than punitive.
Chapters 38-41. God spoke. With examples from his creation, he revealed Job’s lack of understanding. Job finally admitted his folly and placed his faith in God’s omniscient wisdom.
Chapter 42. God chastened Job’s three friends, job forgave them. God doubled all of Job’s blessings and he lived another 140 years. Satan was totally defeated.
Lessons that the Book of Job teaches us about the Kingdom
1. There is a very real invisible world (the third heaven) that influences our human lives, either positively or negatively.
This is the same mighty power that raised Christ from the dead and seated Him in the place of honour at God’s right hand in the heavenly realms. Ephesians 1:19c-20 NLT
For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the cosmic powers over this present darkness, against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly places. Ephesians 6:12c ESV
- God rules over both, the invisible and the visible, worlds.
Thus says the Lord, the King of Israel and his Redeemer, the Lord of hosts: “I am the first and I am the last; besides me there is no god. Isaiah 44:6 ESV
- Both God and Satan see what is happening on earth. God is omnipresent, but Satan is not. The eyes of the Lord are in every place, keeping watch on the evil and the good. Proverbs15:3 ESV
The Lord said to Satan, “From where have you come?” Satan answered the Lord and said, “From going to and fro on the earth, and from walking up and down on it.” Job 1:7 ESV
- God allows Satan to oppose us, because we grow through opposition. Count it all joy, my brothers, when you meet trials of various kinds, for you know that the testing of your faith produces steadfastness. And let steadfastness have its full effect, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing. James 1:2-4 ESV
5. God allows suffering as corrective, rather than as punitive.
But he knows the way that I take; when he has tried me, I shall come out as gold. Job 23:10 ESV
6. God loves us and has good plans for us, the best being Jesus’ forgiveness and promise of eternal life and partnership with him.
For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for welfare and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will hear you.
Jeremiah 29:11c-12 ESV
“But as for me, I know that my Redeemer lives, and He will stand upon the earth at last. And after my body has decayed, yet in my body I will see God! I will see Him for myself. Yes, I will see Him with my own eyes. I am overwhelmed at the thought!”
Job 19:25c-27 NLT
7. God the Father planned from the beginning of Creation that Jesus would come to earth, represent us, die in our place, and invite us into eternal partnership. “There is no umpire between us, Who may lay his hand upon us both”. Job 9:33 NASB
For He (Jesus) was foreknown before the foundation of the world, but has appeared in these last times for the sake of you who through Him are believers in God, who raised Him from the dead and gave Him glory, so that your faith and hope are in God.
1 Peter 1:19-21 NASB
- God uses all things, even evil, to shape us and to bring us to maturity. As for you, you meant evil against me, but God meant it for good, to bring it about that many people should be kept alive, as they are today. Genesis 50:20 ESV
- Unlike us, God sees from an eternal perspective.
Do you not know? Do you not hear? Has it not been told you from the beginning? Have you not understood from the foundations of the earth? It is he who sits above the circle of the earth, and its inhabitants are like grasshoppers; who stretches out the heavens like a curtain, and spreads them like a tent to dwell in.
Isaiah 40:21c-22 ESV
- God is infinite, and our finite minds will never fully understand his ways. For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, declares the Lord. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts. Isaiah 55:8-9 ESV
June 9, 2019
June 2, 2019
May 29, 2019
May 19, 2019
May 12, 2019
May 5, 2019
April 21, 2019
April 14, 2019
April 7, 2019
March 31, 2019
March 24, 2019
March 17, 2019