Big Idea: Hope is active and prayerful. Hope is confident in God’s will.
We were created to be hopeful.
Romans 5:3-5 NIV
“Not only that, but we also rejoice in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, hope. And hope does not disappoint us,
because God has poured out His love into our hearts through the Holy Spirit, whom He has given us.”
- What an interesting concept to BEGIN at suffering and end at hope!
Paul is saying, HOPE is the result of rejoicing in suffering, combine with perseverance and character
- Hope doesn’t Disappoint
3 Ways Hope is Active
1 Thessalonians 5:16-22 NIV
Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you. Do not quench the Spirit. Do not despise prophecies, but test everything; hold fast what is good. Abstain from every form of evil.
- Rejoice Always:
- Philippians 4:4 KJV “Rejoice in the Lord always and again I say Rejoice”
- We have an active Joyful Hope
- Pray Without Ceasing
- Ephesians 6:18 ESV “praying at all times in the Spirit, with all prayer and supplication.”
- We have an active Prayerful Hope
- Give Thanks in all Circumstances
- Colossians 4:2: ESV “Continue steadfastly in prayer, being watchful in it with thanksgiving.”
- We have an active Thankful Hope
The result of rejoicing always, praying always, thanking always…knowing the will of God and stirring up the Holy Spirit
1 Thessalonians 5:16-19 NIV
Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you. Do not quench the Spirit.
- The Holy Spirit is quenched when you aren’t joyful, prayerful, or thankful!!
- So, do you want to stir up the Spirit??? Be joyful, be prayerful and be thankful
Our Hope is that He is Faithful
1 Thessalonians 5:23-24 NKJV
Now may the God of peace himself sanctify you completely and may your whole spirit and soul and body be kept blameless at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ. He who calls you is faithful; he will surely do it.
- “He is faithful, and He will surely do it”- this is our hope
- God will respond to Joy, Prayer and Thanksgiving
Our Hope is that He Hears Our Prayer
1 John 5:14-15 NKJV
“And this is the confidence that we have toward him, that if we ask anything according to his will, he hears us. And if we know that he hears us in whatever we ask, we know that we have the requests that we have asked of him.”
- God hears prayers that are “according to His will”
- Faith is an Active HOPE
Hebrews 11:1 NASB
“Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen”
- Faith is joyful, persistent, and thankful
- Faith and Hope believe when you cannot see…
Conclusion: If you find yourself losing hope or lacking hope, try to spend some time this Christmas season being joyful, prayerful, and thankful. Remember what God has done in your life and then allow that to produce hopeful prayers for your future. God’s Will is not just a decision, a direction, an event you have to create or a relationship…it’s being joyful, prayerful and thankful!!