Main Point: God commands us to pray for the sick by the power of the Holy Spirit
Matthew 10:8 ESV
8“Heal the sick, raise the dead, cleanse lepers, cast out demons. You receive without paying; give without pay.”
Power of God is with Jesus to heal
Luke 5:17 NIV
17 One day Jesus was teaching, and Pharisees and teachers of the law were sitting there. They had come from every village of Galilee and from Judea and Jerusalem. And the power of the Lord was with Jesus to heal the sick.
1 Corinthians 12:9b NIV
“…Gifts of healing” through the Holy Spirit.
Jesus dwells in you through Faith
Ephesians 3:14-21 NIV
14 “For this reason I kneel before the Father, 15 from whom every family in heaven and on earth derives its name.
16 I pray that out of his glorious riches he may strengthen you with power through his Spirit in your inner being, 17 so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith. And I pray that you, being rooted and established in love,
18 may have power, together with all the Lord’s holy people, to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ, 19 and to know this love that surpasses knowledge—that you may be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God. 20 Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us, 21 to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever! Amen.”
- You have access to the Power of the Spirit in your inner being
- Christ dwells in you through faith
- Power is now at work in you
Faith activates the power of God for healing
- Journey from the upper room means that healing will happen in our homes and not just the church
Luke 5:18-20 NIV
18 Some men came carrying a paralyzed man on a mat and tried to take him into the house to lay him before Jesus. 19 When they could not find a way to do this because of the crowd, they went up on the roof and lowered him on his mat through the tiles into the middle of the crowd, right in front of Jesus. 20 When Jesus saw their faith, he said, “Friend, your sins are forgiven.”
Healing isn’t always instant and can have layers
- For some, healing is progressive
Mark 8:22-26 NIV
22 They came to Bethsaida, and some people brought a blind man and begged Jesus to touch him. 23 He took the blind man by the hand and led him outside the village. When he had spit on the man’s eyes and put his hands on him, Jesus asked, “Do you see anything?” 24 He looked up and said, “I see people; they look like trees walking around.” 25 Once more Jesus put his hands on the man’s eyes. Then his eyes were opened, his sight was restored, and he saw everything clearly. 26 Jesus sent him home, saying, “Don’t even go into the village.”
- 5 Steps to praying for healing:
- Interview: what happened, how long, what’s the diagnosis?
- Prayer selection: ask God to heal or command healing
- Prayer ministry: actively pray for the person for a couple of minutes (not long)
- Ask if anything is happening? (heat, cold, peace, sensation, tingling, movement, loosening up, pain moves from one part of the body to another (that’s spiritual))
- Continue to pray if God is doing something or bless them and finish the prayer time if nothing discernible is happening (this doesn’t mean nothing is happening).
Conclusion: At Northside, we believe that any believer can pray by faith for divine healing. It is the power of God and the name of Jesus which carry the power and authority to heal, not a title or a position in a church.
Additional Resources on Divine Healing:
Divine Healing: Andrew Murray
Power Healing: John Wimber
Power to Heal: Randy Clark
Ultimate Voice: Oral Roberts
Essential Guide to Healing: Randy Clark and Bill Johnson
**Stories from John G. Lake, Smith Wigglesworth, Aimee Semple McPherson, William Seymour, Kathryn Kuhlman etc.