Big Idea: It’s always a wise idea to consider a self-analysis every once-in-a-while. Solomon has given us several helpful questions to consider how we are doing as fathers.
- Do I have a plan for my family? Where do I see my family in five years?
By wisdom a house is built, and by understanding it is established; by knowledge the rooms are filled with all precious and pleasant riches. Proverbs 24:3-4 ESV
- Is our relationship with God central to our family? Do my children understand that?
In the fear of the Lord one has strong confidence, and his children will have a refuge. The fear of the Lord is a fountain of life, that one may turn away from the snares of death. Proverbs 14:26-27 ESV
- Is my home and family my second priority? Does my work trump family, after work hours?
Like a bird that strays from its nest is a man who strays from his home. Proverbs 27:8 ESV
- Do you feel like you bring peace and order to your home and family?
Like a madman who throws firebrands, arrows, and death is the man who deceives his neighbour and says, “I am only joking!” For lack of wood the fire goes out, and where there is no whisperer, quarrelling ceases. As charcoal to hot embers and wood to fire, so is a quarrelsome man for kindling strife. Proverbs 26:18-21 ESV
- Do you think you live with integrity? Are your words in harmony with God’s words? Do you follow through on what you say?
The righteous who walks in his integrity—blessed are his children after him! Proverbs 20:7 ESV
- Do you feel like you are discipling (disciplining) your children to be healthy adults?
Discipline your son, for there is hope; do not set your heart on putting him to death.
Proverbs 19:18 ESV
Whoever spares the rod hates his son, but he who loves him is diligent to discipline him.
Proverbs 13:24 ESV
- Are you helping your children plan their futures? Are you “narrowing the road”?
Train up a child in the way he should go; even when he is old, he will not depart from it.
Proverbs 22:6 ESV
Discipline your son, and he will give you rest; he will give delight to your heart. Where there is no prophetic vision the people cast off restraint but blessed is he who keeps the law.
Proverbs 29:17-18 ESV