Big idea: All of us, like the graduates in our Church family, are headed somewhere. God has his plans for each of us, and our work is to discover his plans and move forward.
Scripture: My son, do not forget my teaching,
But let your heart keep my commandments, for length of days and years of life and peace they will add to you.
Let not steadfast love and faithfulness forsake you; Bind them around your neck; Write them on the tablet of your heart.
So you will find favour and good success in the sight of God and man.
Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and do not lean on your own understanding.
In all your ways acknowledge him, And he will make straight your paths.
Be not wise in your own eyes, fear the Lord, and turn away from evil.
It will be healing to your flesh and refreshment to your bones.
The process works like this:
- We ask “where have I come from?” The answer is that God has sovereignly planned who I would be, male or female, when I’d be born, in what family, what would be my gifts and talents and passions.
Train up a child in the way he should go; even when he is old he will not depart from it. Proverbs 22:6
- Where am I now? Who am I? Where am I in my journey? What’s the possibilities before me? What are my interests?
- Where do I want to be in 4 years? 10 years? At the end of my life?
- Develop a plan. If I’m not moving ahead with my plan in use of my time, education and experience, I won’t be any further along the path a year from now.
Think of putting a jigsaw puzzle together.
- Lay out all the pieces on the table. This is a collection of all the potential that God has given me to work with. Discipline your son, and he will give you rest. He will give delight to your heart. Where there is no prophetic vision the people cast off restraint, but blessed is he who keeps the law.
- Begin by laying out the frame. Separate the colours. This is where I am now.
- We don’t know the picture on the box. We only have a vision of our future. Your eyes saw my unformed substance; in your book were written, every one of them, the days that were formed for me, when as yet there was none of them.How precious to me are your thoughts, O God!How vast is the sum of them! Psalms 139:16c-17
- Start putting the pieces together. It will likely take the next 50 years to complete the puzzle.
And though the Lord give you the bread of adversity and the water of affliction, yet your Teacher will not hide himself anymore, but your eyes shall see your Teacher. And your ears shall hear a word behind you, saying, “This is the way, walk in it,” when you turn to the right or when you turn to the left. Isaiah 30:20-21
I will instruct you and teach you in the way you should go;I will counsel you with my eye upon you. Psalms 32:8