Main Point: Future generations will be affected by what our soul produces.
“One generation plants the tree, the next eats the fruit”.
“Then God said, “Let the land produce vegetation: seed-bearing plants and trees on the land that bear fruit with seed in it, according to their various kinds.” And it was so, the land produced vegetation: plants bearing seed according to their kinds and trees bearing fruit with seed in it according to their kinds. And God saw that it was good. And there was evening, and there was morning- the third day.” Genesis 1:11-13 NIV
- The creativity and beauty of God is found in REPRODUCTION
- To me, REPRODUCTION (in a garden, an animal or a human being), is the single most miraculous act that happens every day that we take for granted
God saw a garden and thought… “this is good”.
- Don’t “throw out the core”- it contains future harvest
Don’t just come to these gatherings to consume…Leave with seeds to plant
Every Garden has Weeds
“I went past the field of a sluggard, past the vineyard of someone who has no sense; thorns had come up everywhere, the ground was covered with weeds, and the stone wall was in ruins.” Proverbs 24:30-31 NIV
- A Garden must be maintained, or it will be choked out by weeds
- Do not become lazy with the most important garden in your life- your soul
- Every garden has weeds (lies, thoughts, motives, intentions and other sins of the soul)
“But blessed is the one who trusts in the Lord, whose confidence is in him. They will be like a tree planted by the water that sends out its roots by the stream. It does not fear when heat comes; its leaves are always green. It has no worries in a year of drought and never fails to bear fruit.” Jeremiah 17:7-8
- I want to be the kind of tree that DOESN’T FEAR, ALWAYS GROWS, DOESN’T WORRY and NEVER FAILS TO PRODUCE FRUIT
- Let me ask you: how is your mindset right now?
Words of your Mouth Reveal the Seeds in your Heart
“The good person out of the good treasure of his heart produces good, and the evil person out of his evil treasure produces evil, for out of the abundance of the heart his mouth speaks.” Luke 6:45 ESV
- The key word in this passage is PRODUCES – like a garden, our heart has the ability to produce good and evil
- For me, the heart in this passage is the soul: mind, will and emotions
- This passage is saying: “you reproduce in your mouth what is produced in your heart”
Your mouth gives birth to what is conceived in your heart
Application: this week, sit with the Lord and ask Him to help you complete a “personal inventory” of your soul.
Like David, pray this: “Search me, God, and know my heart; test me and know my anxious thoughts. See if there is any offensive way in me and lead me in the way everlasting.” Psalm 139:23-24 NIV